Vitiligo is a skin disease that triggers the loss of skin color. The extent and rate of vitiligo patients color loss is unpredictable, which can affect the skin on any area of your body. It could also affect hair, the inside of the mouth and even your eyes.
Normally, the color of skin, hair, and eyes is determined by pigment. It occurs once the cells that produce pigment die or stop functioning.
Vitiligo can affects people of all skin colors, but it is more noticeable in people with darker skin. The vitiligo condition is not life-threatening or contagious. But you can be stressful or let you feel bad about yourself. Treatments for vitiligo may improve the appearance greatly.
The main sign and symptoms of vitiligo is color loss that occurs light or white patches on your skin. Usually, the skin discoloration firstly shows on sun-exposed parts, such as the hands, feet, arms, face and lips.
Vitiligo signs include:
1. Skin color loss
2. Premature whitening or graying of the hair ( scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard, usually before 35)
3. Loss of color in the tissues that are inside of your mouth and nose
4. Loss of or change of color that the inner layer of your eyeball (retina)
5. Discolored patches shown around the navel, armpits, genitals and rectum
Types of Vitiligo
Vitiligo can start at any age, which mostly often appears before 20 years old. Based on the areas of white patches, the discolored patches may cover:
1. Many areas of your body. It is the most common type called generalized vitiligo, the white patches usually progress similarly on corresponding body areas (symmetrically).
2. One side or part of your body. It is called segmental vitiligo, which tends to occur at a younger age and progress for 1 year or 2, then stop.
3. One or only a few parts. It is called localized vitiligo.
It's hard to predict how your vitiligo will progress. Sometimes the white patches stop forming without any treatments. In most cases, pigment loss will spread and eventually involve most of your skin. Rarely, the skin can get original color back.
If you still have any vitiligo problems, you can send to email@example.com you can also leave your own message, then we will give you a solution based on your condition.